Tuesday 25 February 2014

The Preparations of a Noble Feast

Last saturday afternoon I left the house in the state of productive disarray to go to Venice for the weekend. Like Mary Poppins I packed a carpet bag, put on my hat and scarf, and stopped by the kitchen to say farewell. All four children were there, so was my hostess and their family friend who had been staying here as well for the last few days.They were cooking pumpkin soup and lasagna and although things seemed to be going well for the time being, I felt sure it was only a matter of time before too many cooks spoiled the broth.

That saturday night my hosts were actually having some friends over for dinner and the preparations leading up to the event gave me a chance to see the household at its most 'Noble'. And wow, was it amazing.

The floors were being polished by the household cleaner who lives next door, carpets were being shaken, the food was being prepared, the garden was being pruned and tidied...everything was going on.

I had wandered upstairs earlier that day to offer my assistance. Was there anything I could do to help out, to clean? To put away? My hostess and her friend led me along to her bedroom where opening a door she led me through to the Red Sitting Room and the Yellow sitting room, two gorgeous rooms named after their respective wallpaper colour arrangements, both complete with pretty floral sofas, elaborate stucco ceilings, mythological artworks, panelled walls, and grand fireplaces. Then, like a movie scene, some doors were opened, some lights were flicked on and before us, lit up like a ballroom, was the absolutely awe-inspiring 17 metre long sitting room. The ceiling, gilded and stunning towered above, from the walls hung gorgeous lamps and an antique pianoforte sat at the back, elegant as ever. The sofas still had their winter covers on but a glimpse underneath revealed peach velvetine. The room was amazing, truly something from Versaille. I was struck again by the singularity of my surreal adventure: staying with totally normal lovely people, but hell, they just happen to live in a palace!

We then set the dining room, a room leading off from the huge sitting room, that glowed from the gilded timber on the walls and ceilings, featuring a huge glass chandelier hanging low in the middle of the room over the beautiful 12 seater dining table. Using cutlery from the beautiful painted cupboards of the smaller dining room off to the side (and from the huge Tuscan style kitchen off that room) we set the table. The shelves were stocked with beautiful Tuscan pieces, all blue and white with floral or citrus inspired patterns. Each place at the table had a plate, a smaller plate for fruit and bread, a wine glass, another goblet for water and two sets of cutlery, with all handles decorated with mother of pearl. We placed a gorgeous silver platter in the middle of the table and two white porcelain bowls of fruit at each end. The table actually sparkled, reflected in the huge antique mirror at the front of the room.

While setting the table we passed by a corridor on our trips to and from the smaller dining room to the grand dining room. I asked me hostess if that led to the attic. On no, not the attic! It led to yet another floor of rooms. I began to get some idea of how huge this house was. We were only living in a about one-tenth of it for Winter....the family that lived in the house during the 18th century was obviously very very grand.

I was little awe-struck, it really felt as if I was more in a museum than in someone's family home. Yet everything was done with such casualness and familiarity. Nothing was sacred exactly, it was just their lifestyle. My hostess laughed at my gaping mouth and the way my eyes darted everywhere at once, trying to take it all in. For me, it was like visiting Versaille, incredibly aesthetically overwhelming. How to explain to anyone that before popping off to Venice I sat in a grand dining room polishing the glorious silverware of a Noble family?

 Wandering back through the rooms I took my time, hoping that I would get a chance to see these rooms in their full glory before I would have to move on. My hostess pointed out to me another door way that led off the Yellow Sitting Room. She informed me that behind those doors was a small chapel.....just casually. She told me she would show me another time. I cannot wait.

Back to my departure. So I said my good byes, not before the little one insisted on trying on my cossack hat which I happened to be wearing at the time (the hat was way too big for him and the grey fur enveloped his face . He looked adorably hilarious and we all laughed), and set off, almost regretting the fact this weekend I had booked accommodation away. I wanted to eat in the grand dining room!! Blast you Venice!!!

Maybe I will get a chance to yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment